Flutter is a FTSE 50 global leader in sports betting and gaming with annual revenues of over £4bn. Its strong and diverse portfolio of market-leading brands and best-in-class products provides its 13 million customers excitement and entertainment in a safe and responsible way. Flutter brands include Paddy Power, Sky Betting & Gaming, Betfair, Sportsbet, FoxBet, FanDuel, and PokerStars.
Blip is a top-of-the-edge Portuguese IT company, focused on software engineering solutions for sports betting and gaming.
As part of the Flutter Entertainment group, we are an essential piece of the business, delivering safe and entertaining websites, mobile apps, and retail systems for over 7.6 million monthly customers around the globe.
Creating safe and fun software for sports betting and gaming it’s what we do. But the way we do it is what makes us one of the top options when it comes to choosing the best place to boost your career. Our Agile-oriented mindset, together with the most exciting technology and a team of 500 bold and inspiring people, will drive your star-quality skills to another level.
We bet on people first. That’s why employer branding and flexible practices are cornerstones of our working culture. And our working culture is more than job benefits, it empowers you to come as you are and find the perfect balance between your life and your working challenges. We focus on autonomy, diversity, lifelong learning, and work-life balance.
So… It’s not a job. It’s a way of being and it all starts here. Are you in?
Within the gbp Architecture team you will be working closely with the Product and Technology teams to define the database architecture for our global betting platform.
You will design simple solutions to complex business problems while assuring availability and performance. You will provide ongoing consultation and advice to stakeholders about roadmap features and will lead and implement architectural design best-practices, aiding the company projects' long-term success.
What you will be doing
As a team player in an agile team, working together to keep delivering at pace, scale and with demanded quality to support our products you will be able to:
- Work within a cross-divisional architecture team to design robust and scalable data solutions;
- Analyse existing databases, including data structures, schemas, indexing, and performance requirements;
- Research and evaluate database technologies to identify the most suitable option, considering compatibility, scalability and cost;
- Collaborate with cross-divisional teams to define plan and own strategy for large-scale data migrations;
- Support the engineering team on database component development, such as defining schemas, tables, indexes and stored procedures;
- Understand complex business flows and how they map to underlying data stores;
- Ensure proper data governance and security policies are adhered to during design and implementation;
- Execute, optimize and coach on the software development life cycle;
- Be able to leverage the above expertise to support other teams in your function so that we deliver the best product to our customers.
Expertise we’d love to see
- Previous experience as a Database Architect or similar role, with a focus on database migration;
- In-depth knowledge of database technologies including RDBMS (e.g., MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL) and NoSQL databases (e.g., Cassandra, Mongo, Redis);
- Expertise of data modelling, database design and performance optimization;
- Proficient in SQL and experience with common programming languages (Java preferred);
- Familiarity working with client-server protocols i.e., REST;
- Experience working with a high concurrency/transactional/available platform;
- Experience working with Kafka and message queueing systems;
- Experience working with cloud technologies;
- Awareness and experience in using agile methodologies.
Competencies we hope you have
- You have strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate effectively with technical non-technical stakeholders;
- You are proactive and self-motivated with the ability to work independently and manage multiple priorities within deadlines;
- You are objective, impartial, and unbiased, ensuring equal treatment for all and that decisions taken are based on objective criteria; ￼
- You value opposing perspectives on an issue and can adapt your approach to achieve a successful outcome; ￼
- You work towards creating an organisation that is an attractive place to work.