Blip is a Tech and Innovation Hub with a strong knowledge in software development, mobile apps, web platforms and retail applications for betting and gaming.
We are part of Flutter Entertainment Group – one of the World´s Largest Groups in the bookmaking industry, with an annual revenue of around 5 billion euros.
Its strong and diverse portfolio of market-leading brands and best-in-class products provides excitement and entertainment in a safe and responsible way.
The Code we develop, powering brands such as Paddy Power, Sky Betting & Gaming, Betfair, Sportsbet, FoxBet, FanDuel, and PokerStars, is used by around 14 million people in more than 100 countries, and we are in the API Billionaire Club alongside players such as Google, Facebook and Twitter.
The Global Betting Platform (‘gbp’) is Flutter’s flagship proprietary sports betting platform and is being used by multiple Brands across the Group to power delivery of new Sports betting features at pace. Today the gbp product enables the generate of 33% of the total Flutter Group Sportsbook online revenue and has around 1.7m active customers across the multiple brands transacting on it.
The Role ...
As a Principal Backend Engineer, you will be a senior thought leader across the group with significant project impact rolling out initiatives across group divisions by consulting on the optimal strategies for gbp platform capabilities’ software solution design and delivery strategies. You will take active part in your function’s high level software solution design activities and you will play a key role in designing and executing against a software engineering strategy that allows you to unlock your function’s objectives and key results. All the above done having in consideration divisional specific requirements. As part of a Software Development Function, you will be responsible for the full lifecycle of an application You will be working as part of a multiple team, multiple location environment to further evolve the gbp platform to become a truly world-class sports betting platform to power the Flutter Group to innovate and differentiate the experience we can provide to our customers across our multiple brands.
You will be using cutting-edge technologies to deliver amazing value to our customers, while scaling our platform to meet the demands of worldwide markets. You will be required to program well-designed, testable, efficient code to solve business needs, as well as testing and documenting the implemented solutions.
What you will be doing...
As a team player in an Agile Function, working together to keep delivering at pace, scale and with demanded quality to support our products you will be able to:
- Lead across the group with significant project impact rolling out initiatives across group divisions by consulting on the optimal strategies for gbp platform capabilities.’
- Lead software solution design and delivery strategy definition
- Execute against your functions software engineering strategy allowing it to unlock it’s objectives and key results.
- Be mindful of divisional specific requirements and make sure they are reflected throughout your function’s delivery activity.
- Execute, optimize and coach on the software development life cycle; • Design and develop technical solutions or processes.
- Create and confirm high-quality requirements with stakeholders
- Suggest alternative methodologies that may be more efficient and actively improve the tooling to improve use cases.
- Tackle tasks by researching and weighing up the pros and cons of various routes to select the right approach.
- Be an expert in your primary programming language, and be competent in others.
- Be an expert in your domain (business and tech) who can guide your team on the best approach for large pieces of work which span multiple components and teams.
- Be able to leverage the above expertise to support other teams in your function so that we deliver the best product to our customers.
What We're Looking For...
Expertise we hope you have
- Passion for building a great consumer product that our customers will love • Proven track record of working with Java (preferable, 8+) or similar OOP Languages
- Experience working with a high concurrency/high transactional/highly available platform
- Ability to understand the dependencies between components and how they combine to deliver service to the consumer and business
- Ability to easily recognize system deficiencies and implement effective solutions
- Expertise using established design patterns
- Drive to encourage appropriate use of reusability techniques (e.g. design patterns, library extraction, new component creation)
Expertise we´d love to see
- Familiarity working with Client-server protocols such as SOAP, REST
- Experience working with Kafka and message queueing systems
- Knowledge of Scala, Akka, memcached, Apache Storm, Apache Cassandra, ZooKeeper
- Awareness and experience in using agile methodologies Competencies we hope you have
- You can establish close relationships with members of the development community inside and outside of own delivery team, underpinned by trust, integrity and respect.
- You are objective, impartial, and unbiased, ensuring equal treatment for all and that decisions taken are based on objective criteria. You are pragmatic and passionate for the art of problem solving.
- You work effectively and in partnership with other delivery community members inside and outside of own delivery team on company shared goals that align towards the achievement of the Flutter group technology strategy.
- You understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue and you are able to adapt your approach in order to achieve a successful outcome.
- You demonstrate a strong commitment to the development of talent. You recommend and support development activities in preparation for future roles.
- You invest time to coach and mentor others. You can identify, select, and develop top talent including and not shying away from talent that goes beyond your own capabilities. You work towards creation of an organisation that is an attractive place to work.